April 3, 2013

Sometimes Chicken Soup IS The Best Medicine

When my Mom was a little girl and got  sick my Nonna made  Nonna's chicken soup. When I was a little girl and I was sick I always knew what was in the steaming big grey pot on the stove. It was home made chicken soup. Now when MJ gets sick I make him Nonna's home made chicken soup.

The last few weeks MJ and I have both been sick. I was first diagnosed with strep and then a sinus  infection and MJ had his tooth pulled and had and upper repository right after. So I made a BIG pot of homemade chicken soup.



Nonna's Chicken Soup

1 Large Package of Chicken Thighs
1green bell pepper
1 yellow onion
1/4 clove of garlic minced
1 turnip
3 or 4 carrots
1 parsnip
3 or 4 ribs of celery
1 potato ( I Omit this with no problem)
1 package of whole grain noodles type of choice ( if you want  chicken noodle soup)

herbs you need
1 bay leaf
teaspoon of Italian seasoning
teaspoon of garlic powder
teaspoon of onion powder
2 bullion cubes
salt to taste
pepper to taste


1-In a HUGE pot put the chicken thighs in and fill it 3/4 of the way with cold water. Bring the water with the chicken to a boil.

2-When the water boils turn it down to a simmer. Simmer it until the chicken falls off the bone. This takes hours.

3-cut up all of your veggies. Cut up your pepper, onion, garlic turnips, carrots. celery, parsnip, potato

4-When the meat falls from the bone add in your veggies and the herbs and simmer until the veggies are soft.

5-/Add in about half the package of noodles and simmer. Anymore and you will make a casserole.

buon appetito

No comments:

Post a Comment